Thursday, October 3, 2013

Books!

In upcoming posts, I will be writing about some of the books on MS that I've been reading lately.  I research online as well, but books and I are buddies from way back.

When I was a kid, they were my retreat.  I had a perpetual stack of library treasures in my room.  

It didn’t take long for me to work my way through the entire children’s nonfiction section.  Only then did I resort to fiction, choosing works by favorite authors like Walt Morey and Jean Craighead George.  I also handily devoured historical fiction and biographies.

One day, the librarian saw me wandering the children’s area for something to feed my brain.  I’d already read most everything that struck my fancy, but I was scouring the cases in hopes of discovering a new pocket of gold.  

She raised her voice to call me over.  Thankfully, I was the only patron in the library at the time.  [Hubby thinks I should pause here to explain that I'm an introvert. (Now you know. (smile))]  

I pondered this.  She's calling me to her desk.  Was I in trouble for something?  She looked pleasant enough. Was there a new library policy putting a time limit on how long you can take to choose? 

As I tentatively approached the desk, she smiled encouragingly and said, “Jennifer, you do know there is a big section of nonfiction books over there, right?”  She pointed toward the adult bookcases. 

My eyes widened.  “I’m allowed there?”

She nodded and smiled some more while motioning for me to follow her that direction.  

In a disbelieving stupor, I trailed behind her as she described each stack to me.  I noticed she started with the wilderness/nature books first; she knew me. (contented sigh) Then, we wandered through the arts, medical, crafts, travel, and history areas.  

Two long, floor-to-ceiling cases of nonfiction books, absolutely unexplored, all waiting for me! 

Still marveling that I’d gotten the green light to explore these books, I quickly decided that a kid wouldn’t be allowed out of the building with an adult book in her hands.  “Can I take them to the kid’s table and read them there?”

“Hon, you can do that.  You can also check them out and take them home to read.”

My face whipped upward from the stacks so I could meet her gaze and determine how serious and truthful she was being with me.

She smiled again.  “Yes, you can check these out just like you do with the books from the children’s area.  This whole library is yours.”

I nearly hugged her.  

She went back to her desk and left me alone with the biggest treasure known to kidkind!  

I stood for a minute, just gazing at the walls of wonder.  It was all mine!  [mad scientist cackle]

No comments:

Post a Comment