Friday, May 16, 2014

The Mountains We Climb in Our Heads

We're going on an organized nature walk tomorrow....maybe....if we remember...if I don't chicken out.

Nature walk.  That means that we'll be there to listen to guides tell us about flora and fauna as we walk up a mountain.  I've walked it before, but it took frequent stops.  And, it will likely be warmer this time.  Plus, it was just my hubby and I last time.  This is different.

All those in attendance (other than hubby) will be strangers.  It is likely, too, that most of them will be in good shape.  They won't be thinking of it as a challenge -- another mountain to climb.  To them, it is a nice little walk up a hill while learning about nature.

Oh, and then there's that lady way back there, trying to keep up.

Will they feel obligated to slow down or wait to speak until I've caught up?  I hope not.
I'll probably take my cane.  Will I have to explain it?  If so, how?  I don't have a diagnosis yet.  Even after all the recent tests, I'm still in limbo.  The last neurologist said, "Those are weird symptoms.  Definitely not multiple sclerosis nor even anything neurological in nature," and sent me on my way.  [sigh] [arrrrgh!]

I never blamed the kids for picking me last for their teams in phys. ed.  I was a liability on any team, even when I knew the rules.  I'm used to this.  I have other talents, and I am blessed.  I'm okay.  Yet, to be honest....sometimes, I simply just want to run and play with the other kids.  (smile)

It is tempting to stay home.

Maybe there will be someone there for whom I can slow down.  (grin)

No comments:

Post a Comment