Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Dysphagia (trouble swallowing) ...

This is Cassie's 3rd "MS Story" video. Right now, my brain is too weary for me to figure out how to add her second into this same post. Be sure to go check out her YouTube channel to hear more from her and catch that "in between" video: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_iVttunaMLs6MShOwvZxVg
My own take on dysphagia below the video.





I've been very fatigued with lots of leg weakness, drop foot, numbness, yada yada the last month. I've also noticed a new symptom. Ah...so maybe this is a relapse.  Anyway, I'll be eating and start to swallow what I've chewed then it is like my body has forgotten how to swallow. That's why what she says in the video above was so striking for me when I heard it just now. It really is how it seems and how I've said it when trying to explain it.

Partway down, it is like the swallowing muscles stop and go, "What was it were we doing? Was this going up or down? Is it even there anyway? DID something just come by? It went on down, right?" I, in answer, am telling those muscles, "Dudes, the food ball is still right there. You've done this for nearly 50 years! What about this is so tough?! Just send it on down, please."

↑↓⇳↺↻↧

There's a lot of sickness (cold/respiratory problems) going on in our community right now. I was thinking I was going to avoid it, since I'd been around it for a couple months without showing any signs of getting it. Well, I think I got it; but it is extremely mild compared to everyone else here, which surprises me. Usually when I get something, my body does it with gusto.  And, it usually ends with a cough that lasts for months.

Well, this cold made the fatigue worse and there were a few sniffles, but no sinus issues. No fever. No vertigo and everything else that jumps on board when my body is weakened. So, yay! I thought I was over it. And, no cough this time, either....except after every meal. Lasts for 20-30 minutes, then I'm okay. Sometimes coughing during the meal, too. Usually, eating helps when I have a cold.  This was weird.

Yeah, you're already going where my brain should have gone earlier. I think the swallowing problems are causing some of what I ingest to go down "the wrong way" and my lungs are rebelling. Hmmm. I figure this out after 3-4 days of this, mind you. Is my fatigued pulp of a brain being a little slow on this? (chuckle) I'm thinking so. I'm going to have to start talking to my brain, too, I think. 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment